Tuesday, 20 June 2017

Review: Life Is Like a Musical: How to Live, Love, and Lead Like a Star

Life Is Like a Musical: How to Live, Love, and Lead Like a Star Life Is Like a Musical: How to Live, Love, and Lead Like a Star by Tim Federle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'd like to thank Net Galley and the publisher for proving me with a copy of this book!

This was a highly enjoyable read for someone in the theatre industry. Finally, someone is speaking my language - Brian D'arcy James, Lin Manuel-Miranda, Dear Evan Hansen, oh my! Tim Federle has worked on some of my favourite musicals... and I didn't even realise until I read this (shame on me for only knowing the music side of my favourite musicals!) I found that Federle's advice was well thought out, backed up with his personal experiences, and simple to do in the long run. Loved it. I read this book in less than a day, and within the first couple of pages, I stopped to recommend it some of my theatre friends. By sticking to shorter chapter lengths, Federle keeps the advice short and sweet - very much like receiving a note from a hurried Stage Manager. The information provided doesn't need to be long or drawn out, just a simple "do this, this is why, now go!" and I loved that.

My only setback is that as much as he tried, I just can't see how a lot of this advice fits in to everyday life. This book is incredibly enjoyable for someone who knows their theatre, but for others - probably not so much. I would recommend this book to any and all "theatre kids" old or young.

view more reviews