Friday, 5 May 2017

Review: Queen of Someday

Queen of Someday Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am giving this 4 stars, although it's probably more of a 3.5. Young Princess Sophia of Prussia is sent for by the Empress of Russia in order to size her up for a possible marriage to her nephew, Peter. This story follows Sophia as she attempts to "play the game" that is Russian Court, and be chosen as Peters bride-to-be. When Peter doesn't end up being a Prince Charming, Sophia finds herself falling in love with one of Peter's men.

My reasoning for the hesitant 3.5-4 star rating is that while I thoroughly enjoy manipulative characters (particularly when it's a political/royal storyline), I felt like at least 2 characters suddenly had a complete personality reversal in the span of a couple of chapters, as well as the pure pettiness of some of the characters. Didn't love that at all. Also, this book features the lovely *insert eyeroll* trope where every young man in the immediate vicinity develops feelings for our main character. Yawn.

This books saving grace is definitely the overall plot, as well as the last couple of pages. Not quite sure if I'll ever continue this series, but I do have an interest as to how this plays out.

Note: This book is currently free on Kindle!

view more reviews