Wednesday, 19 April 2017

Review: The Last of August

The Last of August The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am breaking my own avoid-blogging-about-sequels rule here because this series is unbelievably likable and exactly what I want in my summer reading experience. Not necessarily lighthearted, but not overwhelmingly angsty: AKA exactly what I am looking for in the upcoming summer months. (Hey, I consider anytime I'm not in University "summer," so as of April 18th, I am officially declaring that I am on summer vacation!)

So if you've read Study In Charlotte, you know the premise and can skip this next part. If you're not familiar:

1. GO READ THE BOOK WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

 2. This series follows Charlotte Holmes and Jamie Watson. Both are descendants of Sherlock and John respectively. In this world, of course, both Sherlock and John were real people, who (if not always exactly as Dr. John Watson's stories dictated) solved crimes together, including foiling the plans of mastermind Professor James Moriarty, thus starting a blood feud that exists to this day.

Okay, those of you who read the first book, you can start reading again:
Once again I'm going to chalk up at least 10% of my joy surrounding this book to my obsession with BBC's Sherlock. If you don't love BBC Sherlock as much as me, have no fear! While the characterisations still exist in some form, make no mistake these are new modern, teenaged version of the characters. Both of our main characters seem fairly realistic, and while not entirely a model of a perfect, healthy, loving relationship (I mean is there ever going to be an adaption of Holmes/Watson where they have a totally equal, 100% friendly atmosphere), these characters balance each other out nicely and each have their good and bad traits.

My only critique with this novel (but my reasoning for the 4 star rating) is that there were at least three different times where suddenly there was a conclusion made or something happened that changed the course of the case, and while I read every word I had either no idea what happened or completely missed how the deduction came about. I'm still unsure about a couple details of how things come about - however there is a small possibility that as this is supposed to be Watson's writings, that he was the one who missed something. Hey - It's easier to blame a fictional character for my confusion. ;)

On a final note: I do want to warn readers, that this novel (while not graphically) deals with the aftermath of rape, mentioned also in the previous novel.

view more reviews