Sunday, 9 April 2017

Review: After She's Gone

After She's Gone After She's Gone by Maggie James
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!

To be perfectly honest, I found this book a tad bit too cliche for a 4 or 5 star rating, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great read! Right off the bat Lori Golden's younger sister is murdered, and this is the typical "whodunnit," without the focus on the police aspect. This novel instead focuses directly on Lori and her mother's reactions and coping (with of course some added new revelations and dilemmas thrown in). Interestingly enough, the characters don't "play detective" as you see in many other books, and are genuinely just going through life, and stumbling across questions and answers on the way.

I previously read Maggie James' His Kidnappers Shoes and found the narration style to be a perfect fit, however with this story it just served to distance me a bit too much from the characters. There were a couple of times when I either got the characters mixed up, or couldn't quite understand why they were suddenly on to a new topic. On that note, it completely threw me off that the mothers name was Dana, and the daughters name was Lori. (Shoutout to my Grandmother for forever making me associate the name Lori with an older person.) Either way, I know it's such a nitpicky thing to complain about but it was really disconcerting to me.

Anyways, if you've been craving a good mystery/thriller without all of the added police procedure (aka 99% of the books in the mystery section these days) I do genuinely recommend checking out After She's Gone!

view more reviews