Friday, 21 April 2017

How reading on a Kindle can save you money!

No matter your opinion on reading digital books, whether you are a paper purist, someone who believes that reading on a Kindle is somehow "cheating," or someone who loves the conviniance of being able to carry hundreds of books in your bag, one thing is certain: reading ebooks can be an amazing way to save money for those of us pressed for cash.

I bought my Kindle Paperwhite on Christmas Day 2016, and I have purchased 31 books since, and have a collection of 219 total (including NetGalley, books provided by authors, and many of Amazon's freebies). In order to get the most out of your Kindle account, for the least amount of money, I will be sharing my tips and tricks.

1. Sign up for Kindle Daily Deals emails. Almost every book I have purchased for my Kindle has been for $5 or less (most being $1.99-2.99). If you're not wanting to sign up for the emails, you can also manually check the Daily Deals on the Kindle Store on Amazon, as the name suggests they change every day.

Here's a small selection of books I have bought from Kindle Daily Deals:

For $5 or less!
After You by Jojo Moyes
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
Paper Princess by Erin Watt
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee
The Two Family House by Lynda Cohen Loigman
Room by Emma Donoghue
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvate
Bossypants by Tina Fey  
Waiting to Be Heard by Amanda Knox


2. For free books I've subscribed to BookBub. BookBub is an email service (or you can manually go to the website) in which you can program your book preferences and receive emails daily of significant price drops or free books available on the Amazon Store (or whichever format/provider you prefer/require). Be quick! Not all books are free forever; oftentimes only being available free for a 24-48 hour window of time (in my experience).

3. Back to the Amazon Kindle Store! "Kindle Bestsellers" has a wonderful option of selecting "free!"

How to limit yourself from buying 50 books a day (I know - it's hard!) 
4. Make a wish list of books you'd like on your Kindle! Everyday check the wish list - sort by "items with price drops" and see if any books on your wish list have significantly lowered in price. The books sometimes lower in price for one day, but aren't necessarily a part of "Kindle Daily Deals." This is also a good and easy way to see which books are on sale for their "Monthly Deals."

These are just my tips and tricks for getting lower priced high-quality books! If you have any of your own tips or tricks I missed - leave a comment below!