Thursday, 2 March 2017

Review: A Study in Charlotte

A Study in Charlotte A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow! I am Sherlocked.
I absolutely adored this book! First of all, I should start by acknowledging that yes - BBC Sherlock is my favourite show. I am obsessed. And meaning no disrespect to the author, this book read like a really, really great Sherlock alternate universe fanfic, either for any of the television programs or even for the original Conan Doyle stories. And let me tell you, I enjoyed every second of it...

So the plot: modern day Jamie Watson and Charlotte Holmes are descendants of our favourite duo. This novel (of course being a reference to Conan Doyle's A Study in Scarlet) has our modern day duo meeting, slowly developing the typical Holmes/Watson relationship (including a bit of a romantic one), and solving a case that hits close.

One of the things I particularly loved about this novel was the set up. I really enjoyed the fact that Sherlock and John existed in this world and the public is (mostly) aware of their "adventures." Interestingly enough they even give explanations for a couple of the less probable/impossible conclusions in the stories. The author Brittany Cavallaro obviously put in a lot of time into incorporating the traditional Holmesian and Watsonesque personalities and psychology, while still giving our new characters modern personalities.

I am incredibly excited to continue this series!

view more reviews