Monday, 27 March 2017

Review: Room

Room Room by Emma Donoghue
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow, this was hard-hitting and unbelievably sad.
Five year old Jack has lived his whole life in one room. His mother (having been kidnapped) was forced to raise Jack in horrific, cramped conditions and led him to believe in a warped sense of reality in which Room is the entire world.

As this will be a no spoiler review, I'll keep it short and sweet:
Told through the point of view of Jack, we see everything through the eyes of a five year old child who doesn’t understand societal norms, and doesn’t quite understand what is real and what is not. To be perfectly honest, while Jack is understandably confused and doesn’t have a firm grasp on the world, at times I found his ignorance to be annoying as a narrator. His reactions to everything was of course justified in his eyes, but they still made me unbelievably frustrated at times. And on that note, I have to give the author credit because if I was getting frustrated, you know for a fact that Joy, Jack’s mother, was a million times more frustrated with their situation. This book gave me an unbelievable amount of empathy and sorrow for people who are forced to live in conditions like these. It's easy to forget but this actually happens to people. And it's scary as hell.

view more reviews