Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What can I say about this book? Well for starters it was not what I was expecting. To be perfectly honest I probably would have never picked this book up at a bookstore as the cover doesn't immediately catch my attention, but I happened to win the entire series from a Chapters Indigo giveaway, and then of course felt obligated to at least give it a try. And am I glad I did! I really enjoyed this book.  I'm still a bit unsure of the way this world works, and am having a bit of trouble keeping up with the names (not so much the characters, more the places and such.)

My opinion on the characters is fairly short and sweet: I am absolutely loving our main characters, Celaena, Chaol, Prince Dorian, and Princess Nehemiah. The rest: meh. I'm sure Kaltain will reappear throughout the series, so I'm kind of interested to see if she undergoes some character development.

The overall plot of this first instalment reminded me a lot (if maybe a little too much) of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I honestly never once found myself doubting that the character would win the competition. I found myself far more interested in the relationship between the four characters mentioned above. It probably doesn't hurt that I am total royal trash and love books heavily featuring Princes and Princesses - especially when it's not just exclusively fluffy! I honestly have never read or even been interested in reading anything about assassins or the like, but Celaena and friends are growing on me.

I have to say this, and I'm hoping I phrase this in the kindhearted and openminded way I'm intending it to be: I am so happy to see a strong kickass female character who is still allowed to act traditionally feminine! She enjoys fashion. She isn't shy about her beauty. I mean, we even see her have cramps for goodness sake! How many fictional fantasy heroines have actually acknowledged this?
All in all, while not my preferred style of writing, or even plot, I am really excited to continue this series!


View all my reviews