Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: The New Girl

The New Girl The New Girl by Tracie Puckett
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I did not care for this book at all. Full of cliches, with nothing feeling even remotely realistic. First of all, I want to ask: am I in a weird backwards world where Romeo and Juliet was the only play that has ever been written? I'm not kidding. Genuine question. I am sick of authors shoehorning R&J into the plot to because it's the only play they assume we'll understand.

Also, can we talk about the fact that the characters mother tries to set her underage daughter up with 1) a grown ass man, and 2) the brother of the guy she is dating... I mean WHAT? Sure, dealing with a young, irresponsible mom could be a good plot point, but... this is beyond ridiculous. The plot with our main character having a crush on (or even relationship with, as taboo as it is) her teacher could totally work and serve as an interesting plot... but this teacher is openly flirting with her on her first day of school, and later on has no issues at all with going up to his students bedroom. Nope. I was getting predatory vibes in every interaction. The friends felt ridiculous, and more like caricatures than actual characters and I didn't find that the least bit likeable. Don't even get me started on the female teacher and the popular girl who are the biggest stereotypes of all time. Imagine every blonde antagonist you've ever read about or seen in High School movies. Yep, there were two of them, one being an adult.

This book was not my cup of tea, sorry.

view more reviews