Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I can't quite put my finger on what I wanted this book to be, but this certainly wasn't it. So what's the story? Our main character, Jacob, grew up hearing his grandfathers outrageous tales of monsters, and children with peculiar abilities. Even with the photographic "evidence" to prove it, of course, Jacob writes off his ex-military Grandpa's stories as being metaphors about the war. But whoa. Is is possible these stories may have been.... true? Of course they are. And damn it Jacob is determined to be the blandest boy suddenly thrust into a magical world that I've seen in a while. The "peculiar" children honestly did nothing to hold my attention. The sudden romance between Jacob and Jacob's Grandpa's ex-girlfriend (yes, you read that right) was more peculiar than any of the characters.

So by now you must be asking: what did I like about this book?
I love what Ransom Riggs was trying to do. He uses an assortment of authentic found antique photographs and uses them to write the story. That is a super cool and interesting task to take on... if only the story didn't feel as though the plot was forcefully written specifically to fit the photos.

view more reviews