Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: Go Set a Watchman

Go Set a Watchman Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

"You who called me Scout are dead in your grave." - Jean Louise Finch
It took me a year to force myself through the first 100 pages. I honestly found it tortuous. Without the promise of a sudden and shocking revelation regarding Atticus, I may have never forced myself to finish this novel. So how do I feel about this revelation now that I have? I'm angry. I'm hurt. And if anything, I'm left feeling like I've been mislead and betrayed by every single character in one way or another.

Yes, growing up changes our perspective, we uncover secrets, we learn tid bits and secrets regarding people we've known our whole life - but I can't for the life of me understand how To Kill a Mockingbird deserved this. Hastily mentioned scenes and unsatisfying details about familiar faces from To Kill a Mockingbird, mixed in with various chapters of arguably inconsequential flashbacks. I would have much rather had a novel of vignettes regarding Scout's in-between years, and adulthood, instead of it all smushed together trying (and failing) to form a substantial plot.

view more reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment