Saturday, 18 February 2017

Review: Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

(I set myself a Birthday challenge to read an entire book today - success!)

I will start by saying that this has a bit of a more toned down, teenaged version of Me Before You feel to it. Teenaged Madeline has severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID) and has been confined to her house for as long as she can remember. When a new family moves in next door, Maddy starts up an unconventional friendship with the cute boy next door.

Our two mains (Olly and Maddy) are extremely likeable and realistic. They both have different personalities but aren't depicted as the (dreaded) "quirky I'm-not-like-other-teenagers!!!" YA characters. My only problem with this story is while I instantly disliked the mom's personality, I also disliked Carla, Maddy's nurse - a character who I'm pretty sure was supposed to come off as being the great friend and ally. Without spoiling, I found that especially towards the last 10-15% of the book I really disagreed with her advice and opinions. I think Carla is problematic.

There is a little twist at the end that I guessed in advance, however it didn't in any way hinder my enjoyment of the story! This isn't my favourite book of all time, but it is a pretty solid read and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a friend!

view more reviews

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading this now!

    ReplyDelete